CW Studio have designed a new landscape setting for the refurbishment and extension of Broxhead House. Built in 1877 Broxhead House became the residence of the General Officer Commanding and later the Brigade Commander as part of the Louisburg Barracks in Bordon.
The formality of the building is reflected in the landscape; yew and hornbeam clipped cubes at varying heights provide strong structure while beds of lavender offer scent and colour in bold blocks of colour. Granite setts create a strong visual entrance route while buff stone paving slabs create an appropriate setting for the building.
The Secret Garden courtyard offers a softer and tranquil space for relaxing and special evening events. In contrast to the formality of the frontages, the planting here is soft and naturalistic, with a random exuberance which gives the impression that the planting is slowly taking over this inside/outside space.
Echoes of the formality beyond make their way into the garden; differing lengths and heights of clipped yew hedging provide structure and create different areas within the space for quiet, contemplative seating.
A long timber bench and tables refer back to images of dining tables in an Officers Mess, while a sculptural wire stag’s head on the retained chimney breast offers a playful glimpse of a previous age.
Construction began in 2016.
3d visualisation created by Lee Taylor
Architects: Lewis & Hickey