A new landscape setting for the refurbishment of and contemporary extension for Ward Hall, a Grade II listed building that was purchased by Xaverian College in 1949.
Bespoke stone benches and new trees create a pleasant open space for students, tutors and visitors to meet, sit and enjoy. Bold bands of paving unite the two linked buildings, providing a smart and appropriate setting for the listed building and extension. The direction of the bands highlights the new entrance, and at night inground lighting casts light across the pathway.
A garden setting is created within the existing listed low brick wall. Larger grasses and perennials provide a backdrop to planting providing flowers from May to October. Golden grasses flop over the wall at the front, while the more rigid grasses provide great structure in winter. New planting areas to the boundaries refresh the existing landscape; the woodland character is enhanced with evergreen and perennial planting.
Planning permission and Listed Building Consent were granted in 2013, construction in 2014.